Tuesday, November 25, 2014

installing ruby without sudo

First off, one should should a version control for ruby. I only know rvm.

The first step is the hair-raising curl | bash combination they list on their website. This should set up rvm. It’s nice and made for non-sudoers; it installs in a local directory by default. If you get any warnings, probably check up on those.

I wanted to use ruby 2.0.0 because that’s what I have on my personal machine. Running the recommended rvm install 2.0 led to requests for a password, which are due to rvm’s desire to install some dependencies as necessary. I crossed my fingers and tried to do without these libraries: rvm install 2.0.0 --autolibs=0.

rvm automatically gives you gem, so I was happy to be able to install my favorite gem: gem install arginine. Worked like a charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment